This week, a few of the top team working on RuneScape appeared on the livestream to discuss some of the content that you can expect to launch in the coming months.
A brand new quest called Desperate Measures is nearly here! This is a follow-up to 2019's Desperate Times and will be rolling out on Monday July 27th:
- The quest will see players exploring the secrets of the dragonkin on Anachronia.
- Users must have completed 2019 quest Desperate Times in order to take part.
- They will also have to have completed the tutorial at the Anachronia base camp, and have level 50 Agility, Level 50 Archaeology and Level 75 Combat.
- Desperate Measures has been in development since March.
Executive Producer Mod Warden outlined the recent challenges for the team in the current develop-from-home world, with the team discussing their own personal challenges. In a variety of ways, both personal and team based, COVID has to an extent reduced production capacity.
In order to address this, the team has switched to a new development model:
- Archaeology level content isn't possible right now under the current conditions.
- The goal is to focus on meaningful content that's smaller in scope - some releases will be bigger than others.
Executive Producer Mod Warden said that he wants to start releasing content on a more regular basis:
- The team wants to announce future content at the right time, rather than risk revealing something that then has to be delayed. However, they are working towards providing more development transparency and consistent communications.
- This new strategy doesn't necessarily mean that new content will be launching every single month, but that is the goal being aimed for.
- To support this, Mod Warden has made a number of hires including a new Lead Producer (who formerly worked at Remedy), an Art Director (previously employed by King) as well as a whole new Content Development team.
During the livestream, the developers shed some light on some of the new additions heading to RuneScape in the coming months:
- New Alchemical content is on the way - expect details at a later date.
- The team is also working on an update to celebrate the 12th anniversary of a certain mystery piece of content in September. Teases!
- You can also expect more work on seasonal events, such as Halloween and Christmas. The Beach returns on July 20th, featuring new cosmetics and fun things to do.
- The designers have been hard at work investigating new methods for training RuneScape's various skills.
- A brand new Orthen dig site for the Archaeology skill is currently in development.
The Ninja Team was reformed at the start of the year, and this sneaky group of developers has already made a number of quality of life updates to RuneScape in the last few months. Now they are thinking about what's next:
- A Lunar Spell Book could be on the cards, and the team wants to know what spells players would like to see included.
- Clue Scrolls are also very much on the agenda.
- If you want to share your thoughts on these, or any other themes that you feel these developers should address, head to the Ninja Dojo.
The RuneScape Team